• 83 Calvert Lane, Ilderton, Ontario N0M 2A0

For the average taxpayer, financial records can be challenging to organize even in the best circumstances. Looking at the year we’ve just had, taxes may be more complicated than usual. Here are a few tips to make things more convenient while you’re working from home and more of the unexpected twists and turns of 2020 when preparing your taxes!

CERB is Taxable Income

When you received the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) in 2020, you should know that the Government will tax it as income. Unlike income from labour, where income tax is deducted automatically, the tax on the CERB was not deducted before the funds were transferred. Don’t worry about figuring this out: the Government will issue T4A slips, indicating the total amount of CERB a person has received. The amount on the slips is the amount you must declare as income when filing your 2020 income tax return.

In response to how lockouts and physical isolation affected work, the Federal Government has released other benefits: the Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB), for self-employed and Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit (CRSB), and the Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB).

However, depending on your marginal tax rate, recipients still owe the difference based on your total taxable income in 2020. With CRB, for example, if their net income exceeded $38,000 in 2020, you may have to repay some of it.

Work From Home

Workers would offset some of the tax if the pandemic and government restrictions forced them to work from home, including spending on the home office and household connections such as electricity, heat and water. We do not yet know how the Canadian Tax Authority will investigate and investigate these allegations. All workers should keep track of when they started working at a distance, how often and for how long.

An employee can claim expenses for the home office if they use the room for at least half of the total working time. This rule covers the whole year, but since many people work only part of the year from home, the rating agency will assess the cases individually. The rating agency bases its rating on the office’s size based on the house’s total square footage.

The employer’s documents must use the T2200 form: the explanation of the terms of employment. Any expenses provided or reimbursed by the employer, such as office supplies or home Internet access, cannot be claimed.

Taxes are due on the same dates as every other year.

Individual tax returns and payments are due on 30 April, and self-employed people on 15 June. The rating agency could order an extension of the deadline but has not announced it. Make sure you are still completing your taxes and making all payments due on time.

Consider getting your taxes done professionally.

Everyone can file their taxes, but this year will be different from any we’ve seen before. Taxpayers will have to deal with new issues and factors, especially if they have moved into a home office or own a small business. Auditors are here to make sure their clients don’t miss any documents or records.

Like any other company, auditors and tax collection services must follow security procedures connected with COVID-19. We are working to help customers complete their returns without having to sit down in person. If you are unsure about the tax season this year, contact us today!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *